Prof. Alexander Dowling’s research group (dowlinglab.nd.edu) at the University of Notre Dame is seeking a postdoctoral scholar to develop new methodologies for multiscale modeling and optimization of energy systems. Specifically, in collaboration with the Institute for the Design of Advanced Energy Systems (idaes.org) and others, they are creating novel analysis capabilities that capture the complex interdependencies between energy system conceptual design, model predictive control, and real-world energy markets (e.g., https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2022.119017).
Required Qualifications for this position:
- Ph.D. in engineering, operations research, computer science, or a related field
- Experience developing software in Python, Julia, MATLAB, C++, or another programming language
- Strong background in numerical optimization with prior experience using large-scale solvers such as IPOPT, Gurobi, etc.
- Excellent communication skills evident by publications and presentations in systems engineering, optimization, sustainability, power systems areas, or related fields
- Expert in energy or power systems modeling
- Familiarity with dynamic optimization or mixed-integer nonlinear programming
- Experience with advanced Python programming (e.g., object-oriented programming) and open-source software development (e.g., GitHub.com user)
- Prior experience using Pyomo modeling environment
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, detailed curriculum vitae, two representative publications, and a list of references to Prof. Alexander Dowling (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please include “[Postdoctoral Position]” in the subject. The initial appointment is for one year, with the opportunity for mutually agreeable renewal for a second year.